Choose your language

English (32) Deutsch (22) Español (12) Português (8) Slovak (7) Hungarian (6) Croatian (5) Française (4) Czech (1) Italiano (1) Romanian (1)

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Walter Pall and his beginnings - English


Walter Pall and his beginnings in bonsai
Author: Walter Pall
Collaborator: J.P. Arzivenko



In 1979 I already knew what bonsai was in general, but I hadn't seen a real bonsai before. So, in a newspaper in Germany I read about a garden center that had some bonsai shown and for sale. So I went there because I was interested in garden things; since my early youth I was a gardner. I went there and was deeply impressed and shocked at the saem time. I was impressed about the appearance, the obvious age and the shapes. And I was shocked about the wire biting in, and by some things I thought pretty ugly and unnnatural. Anyway it seemed so difficult; although I consider myself a good gardener, I thought "this is just impossible".
And then the artistic part which also interested me very much, I also saw as difficult to impossible. I grew up in a family full of artists, my grandfather was a painter, my father was an actor (you would never tell), my uncle was a poet and we had lunatics and insane all over the place. Anyway I am also known as an artist sort of person. So I could see the art in bonsai, and I thought it was very difficult. But difficult and impossible things have always intrigued me, so somehow I was drawn towards this, and very soon later I purchased my first bonsai. Thats it how I started, and from then on it is just an addiction, I cannot live without it, now it is my life.

4 comments:

  1. Hi walter.
    Do you perhaps still have a tree that got you started in bonsai. Something that's been with you since the beginning?
    Thanx. Tim. South africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, unfortunately I don't have any tree form the beginning anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear Walter
    How can i start this art?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read everything you can find for three months. And then start.

      Delete